Sunday, December 6, 2009

Some Facts about Christmas

First off, I have to give a shot out to my friend Christine Elliott. It is because of her I read 'The Case For Christ' by Lee Strobel. If I hadn't read that book I would have never read 'The Case for Christmas' by Lee Strobel (which I am reading currently). So a big Thank You Christine is in order, because without you "strongly suggesting" to read that book, I would have never had my eyes opened. THANK YOU!!

What I am getting to is a passage I read today. It is on page 19 (for ya'll that have the book. If you don't, get it!). ** A little background info, this is a book based on facts.

"When Was Jesus Born?"
"History doesn't pinpoint Jesus' birthday. Spring is most likely, because shepherds were watching their flocks at night and this is when ewes bore their young. In fact, around AD 200, theologians concluded Jesus was born on May 20. "Others", said journalist Terry Mattingly, "argued for dates in April and March. This wasn't a major issue, since early Christians emphasized the Epiphany on January 6, marking Christ's baptism."

Continue on page 20

"In AD 385, Pope Julius I declared December 25 as the day for celebrating Christ's birth. "He chose that date," Christian researcher Gretchen Passantino told me, "partly to challenge the pagan celebration of the Roman god Saturnalia, which was characterized by social disorder and immorality"

I never knew any of this. How interesting a pope had to CHOSE a day that was to symbolize peace and love because the Roman people of that time worshiped a god of such chaos. today, people will make such a big deal and go way out of their way to "worship" Santa and other things when it is a MADE UP holiday. Now, I'm not taking anything away from the fact that Christmas time Is suppose to represent a time of showing love and giving. The kids love to look at the lights and put up the tree and decorate it and receive gifts from family and friends. With all the hype of surrounding the faux reason for celebrating "Christ-mas", let's NOT forget the real reason why we celebrate (each and every different way we do) the holiday in the first place. We are to be celebrating CHRIST BIRTH.

0 comments: